Managing Partner, AnJie Law Firm
Executive Partner, Grandall Law Firm
Mandarin , English
Tehua Research Centre, Post-doctoral researcher (Economics)
Peking University, School of Law, Ph.D. (Economic Law)
"China – EU Jurisdiction and Law Cooperation Program" – officially selected and supported by PRC government to study in the United Kingdom, France, Belgium, Germany, Denmark and Spain
Wuhan University, School of Law, LL.M & LL.B
People’s Republic of China
· Deputy Chairman, Competition Commission of China International Chamber of Commerce
· Member, Working Group on Coronavirus Pandemic Prevention of the Competition Committee of International Chamber of Commerce
· Member, Working Group on Legal Procedure for the Compensation of Anti-monopoly Damages of the Competition Committee of International Chamber of Commerce
· Member, Committee of Experts of the Supreme People's Procuratorate on the Interpretation of Civil Administrative Litigation Cases
· Arbitrator, China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission (CIETAC)
· Arbitrator, Shanghai International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission (SHIAC)
· Arbitrator, Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC)
· Arbitrator, Beijing Arbitration Commission (BAC)
· Arbitrator, Nanjing Arbitration Commission
· Arbitrator, Harbin Arbitration Commission
· Arbitrator, Taizhou Arbitration Commission
· Arbitrator, Ningbo Arbitration Commission
· Arbitrator, Chongqing Arbitration Commission
· Member, London Court of International Arbitration (Asia Pacific)
· Arbitrator, Kuala Lumpur Regional Center of Arbitration (KLRCA)
· Arbitrator, American International Commercial Arbitration Court (AICAC)
· Commissioner, Legal Advisory Board of the All China Federation of Returned Overseas
· Professor, Central University of Finance and Economics Law School
· Professor, Renmin University of China Law School
· Membership of the Legal Professional Compliance Committee of Insurance Asset Management Association of China
· Expert of the Expert Database of Insurance Asset Management Association of China
· Registered Expert of Debt Investment Plan of Insurance Asset Management Association of China
· Vice President of Experts Committee of Vehicle Insurance of the Insurance Association of China (IAC)
· Membership of the Legal Professional Committee of Insurance Association of China
· Band 1 Insurance Lawyer of China—Chambers and Partners 2009–2020
· World’s Leading Insurance & Reinsurance lawyer—The International Who’s Who of Insurance & Reinsurance Lawyers 2010–2019
· Best Insurance Lawyer of China—PLC Which Lawyer 2010–2017
· Best Insurance Lawyer of China—Expert Guide 2010-2018
· Top 10 Power List of Lawyers—ALB 2015–2016
· Leading Insurance & Reinsurance Lawyer of China—Expert Guides 2010-2016
· China Top Lawyers, Insurance—Legalband 2015–2020
· Asialaw Recommended Leading Insurance Lawyer 2015–2020
· Band 1 Antitrust/Competition Lawyer of China—Chambers and Partners 2019, 2020
· Antitrust Lawyer of China— Chambers and Partners 2009–2017
· Recommended Antitrust Lawyer in China – Who’s Who Legal 2011–2019
· The Best Antitrust Lawyer of China – Expert Guides 2010–2016
· China Top Lawyers, Antitrust/Competition Law—Legalband 2015–2020
· Leading Antitrust & Competition Lawyer—Asialaw 2015–2016, 2019–2020
· National Top Ten Antitrust Lawyers—Power-nation Intellectual Property Forum 2019
· Recommended individual in Antitrust/Competition – Legal 500 2017, 2019–2020
· Recommended individual in Dispute resolution – The Legal 500 2017, 2019–2020
· Leading Lawyer for the practice area Dispute Resolution and Litigation – Asialaw 2016
· Dispute Resolution Lawyer of China—Benchmark Litigation 2013–2014, 2019
· Top 20 Clients Preferred Lawyers—ALB: China Client Choice 2014
· 100 Outstanding Lawyers in China—China Business Law Journal 2019
· Intellectual Property & Antitrust (China Chapter), Law Business Research Ltd, London, (2019-2020)
· The Dominance and Monopolies Review (China Chapter, 2018, Sixth Edition), Law Business Research Ltd, London, (2013-2020)
· At the Cutting Edge of PRC AML Private Litigation, Competition Policy International, 14th of October 2016
· Chambers Legal Practice Guides: Cartels (China Chapter), Chambers & Partners Publishing, London, (2014, 2016, 2019)
· Chambers Legal Practice Guides: Merger Control (China Chapter, 2014), Chambers & Partners Publishing, London, (2014, 2019)
· NDRC’s Antitrust Enforcement Decisions, CPI Antitrust Chronicle, Competition Policy International, Inc., 2011
· Opportunities and Challenges for Chinese M&A Market published in 2011 Supplement of European Currency – International Mergers & Acquisitions Review 2011
· Private Antitrust Enforcement: Review of Recent Cases on Abuse of Market Dominance, Global Antitrust Review 2010, School of Law Queen Mary, University of London
· Analysis of New and Complicated Insurance Cases, China Law Press, 2016
· China Motor Insurance Market Development Report 2014 (Co-author), IAC, 2015
· The Hot Issues of China Anti-trust Private Litigation, China Law Press, 2012
· The New Insurance Law – Interpretation on Practice Highlights and Case Analysis, China Law Press, 2010
· Practices of Enterprises’ M&A under Antitrust Law – Interpretation, Case Analysis & Guidance, China Law Press, 2008
· The Theory of Chinese Anti-monopoly Law and Practice, Peking University Press (Co-author), Peking University Press, 2008
· Records on the Course of Case-handling by Chinese Lawyers – Insurance Litigation, China Law Press, 2008
· A Look at Regulations on Insurance Market from the Perspective of Economic Law, China Legal Publishing House, 2007
· Essential Principles, Comments & Analysis of Typical Cases in Insurance Law, China Legal Publishing House, 2007
· Investor Relations of Listed Companies (Co-author), China Law Press, 2007.
Dr. Zhan Hao is widely recognized for his representative work, which includes: litigation and arbitration concerning insurance claims, subrogation and reinsurance, M&A relating to insurance companies, establishment of domestic and foreign insurance organizations in the PRC, utilization of insurance funds, compliance with insurance regulations, review of insurance products, extended warranty, corporate governance, and subordinated debt issuance, CAT bond insurance, and IPOs for insurance companies.
As an industry-leading insurance lawyer, Dr. Zhan Hao provides legal services for domestic insurance organizations and insurance asset management companies (AMC) in their utilization of insurance funds, investment, and financing (this includes using insurance funds to make PE investments, investments in infrastructure, investments in real estate, subordinated debt issuances, and IPO’s, among other such investment and financing transactions). In addition, he advises several Chinese insurance companies on their investments in the United States, Korea, Japan, Australia and Europe. For example, Dr. Zhan Hao represented a domestic insurance broker in providing packaged services for its private equity, attracting investors, purchasing equity in insurance companies for a bank, conducting due diligence, and providing equity-transfer services for a Japanese company and an integrated financing group in their purchase of the domestic insurer’s shares.
Additionally, Dr. Zhan Hao establishes annuity trusteeships for central government-sponsored enterprises and listed enterprises. He also acts as a legal counsel for insurance & reinsurance companies, AMCs, insurance brokers and foreign insurance companies over policy review, corporate compliance, and development of new insurance products, among other services. For instance, he acted as a legal counsel for a PRC reinsurer to issue the first CAT Bond in the US.
Dr. Zhan Hao has a wide breadth of experience in litigations and arbitrations related to insurance. He handles litigation and arbitration matters concerning insurance claim and subrogation in construction insurance, marine insurance, D&O, property insurance, pollution liability insurance, and product liability insurance.
Currently, AnJie's full-service insurance team led by Dr. Zhan is one of the biggest and most influential insurance teams among law firms in China.
As a top antitrust lawyer in China, Dr. Zhan Hao has handled a large number of cases in antitrust civil litigation, antitrust investigations, notifications for concentrations of undertakings and antitrust compliance.
Dr. Zhan Hao handles many civil antitrust lawsuits involving significant amounts of money and complex fact patterns, including litigation cases which involves complex areas such as standard essential patents, refusal to deal, monopoly price maintenance, platform markets, and other like matters. By way of example, he represented state-owned oil companies SINOPEC in the first China Petroleum antitrust case and prevailed. He also represented a world-renowned electronics company in a vertical monopoly case and prevailed.
He also provides merger filings for American, German, Australian, Canadian, Japanese, Korean, Indian and Chinese enterprises in a broad range of sectors, including petrochemical, aviation, semiconductor, automotive, finance, pharmaceutical, investment funds, entertainment, machinery, IT, mining, food, pharmacy, energy, financing, telecommunicating and other industries. For example, he assisted a client in successfully obtaining antitrust review approval in the acquisition of Syngenta by ChemChina, which amounts to $4.3 billion and is the largest antitrust filing in China to date.
Dr Zhan Hao defends enterprises against antitrust investigations commenced by antitrust enforcement agencies and advises well-known companies on how to respond to inquiries from antitrust authorities. For instance, he responded to China's first price cartel investigation on behalf of client, which resulted in the termination of the investigation; he also assisted clients in obtaining a mitigated fine in the first antitrust enforcement case in China.
Furthermore, Dr Zhan Hao assists Chinese enterprises file concentration reviews for their M&A in EU countries, America, Australia, Japan, Canada and South Korea. He also assists foreign companies with security reviews for mergers in China.
Dr. Zhan Hao handles many major, complicated cases. His litigation experience includes handling appellate litigation before the Supreme People’s Court, and which in some cases were selected for publication as Guiding Cases of the Supreme People’s Court.
Also, Dr. Zhan Hao acts as legal counsel for numerous arbitration cases within the PRC (Hong Kong and Mainland), the UK, France, Singapore, Stockholm and Japan, among other jurisdictions, and helps foreign clients to get foreign arbitrary awards recognized and enforced in the PRC.
19/F, Tower D1, Liangmaqiao Diplomatic Office Building, No. 19 Dongfangdonglu, Chaoyang District, Beijing 100600
Tel:+86 10 8567 5988
Fax:+86 10 8567 5999
28/F, K.Wah Center,
No. 1010 Huaihai Road (M), Shanghai 200031
Tel:+86 21 2422 4888
Fax:+86 21 2422 4800
38/F, Tower 3, Kerry Plaza,
No. 1-1 Zhongxinsi Road, Futian District, Shenzhen 518041
Tel:+86 755 8285 0609
Fax:+86 755 8285 0605